HIPAA, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, sets the standard for protecting sensitive patient data.
Compliance and HIPPA must be established through documentation verifying patient information is handled privately.
HIPAA Compliance refers to following the proper set of rules and regulations in accordance with requirements and regulations set forth by HHS policies or guidelines.
Health records are to be secured, exchanged and portable. Facilities and businesses must have HIPAA compliant hosting of data with physical and technical safeguards, technical policies and network or transmission security.
Documentation is evidenced through:
- Documented facility-wide employee education on use and protection of confidential patient information
- Policies and procedures in the facility manual, and specific unit manuals
- Signed Employee Privacy Acknowledgement statement
- Written information for patients notifying them of Privacy and Confidentiality Practices
This information must be restricted to what is absolutely necessary for treatment. It is vital for all employees to understand the law regarding how it relates to their position, question/inform their employer of any issues, and monitor that patient privacy is maintained in the workplace.
Our Legal Nurse Consultants can analyze records to see if health care providers and facilities conducted the following compliance activities:
- Create and track privacy procedures for the health care company.
- Direct HIPAA training to all personnel, confirming awareness of Federal and state laws, as well as the organization’s own privacy protocols.
- Employ a Privacy Official for overseeing the organization’s privacy program.
- Explain to patients how their healthcare data can be used.
- Notify patients about privacy rights.
- Secure patient’s healthcare records and other private health information.
Our nursing knowledge, clinical experience & integrity are invaluable assets for your team & your cases…
Click here to Contact Us via email or Call (844)-LNC-KRUG (844)-562-5784